If you are one of those people who tirelessly follows trends and knows everything about them, then you have surely heard of the quantum board led grow lights.
The whole cannabis growing community is buzzing about these led lighting boards. You can read incredibly good reviews and experiences with these lights on forums, blogs, and you can even see them on YouTube videos.
The point is that everyone is thrilled with these quantum lights and guaranteed to work miracles!
If you have been in the growing business for a while, you must have become interested in quantum board grow light at some point.
Now, that’s where the problem arises. You don’t want to take risks and spend money on something that absolutely won’t work, or worse, on something that will damage your plants.
This issue is on your mind because you absolutely have no idea what quantum board led grow light actually is. That’s why we are here today!
Today we will teach you everything you need to know about quantum boards.
We know that no question of yours will remain unanswered.
When you finish reading, know that you can confidently say that you have learned absolutely everything about quantum led lights.
You will generally learn all about quantum board LEDs, how they work, whether they are really as good as they say or not. You will also find out which are the best manufacturers of these ‘miracle workers’.
Only at the end will you have a clear picture of what this quantum led board is like and how it works.
Basics of Quantum Board LED Lights
Let’s start with the basics:
Assets Of Quantum Board LED Grow Lights:
- LED Driver
- Light disperses
- Low Cost
- Thermal control
- DIY Privilege
Detriments Of Quantum Boards:
- Awning Penetration
- Open Frame
- Delusion About Heat
Best Known Manufacturers
What Exactly Is a Quantum Board?
In late years, research on light-emitting diodes (LEDs) has revealed their tremendous potential as a lighting device for regulating herb growth, production, and metabolism.
LED growth was first researched in the 1990s by NASA-alienated researchers as part of the planning for the construction of plant-based life-support systems for potential Moon and Mars bases.
Still, only red LEDs were accessible at the time. As a result, it is possible to argue that the real age of LED testing began with the establishment of blue LEDs to the industry.
LED lighting technologies have evolved significantly in terms of physical shapes and architectures, waveband color availability, power consumption per unit of light output, and cost per unit of light output. LED technology is said to evolve by Haitz’s regulation, which was reformulated in 2011.
A considerable number of lighting firms have recently joined the horticultural industry in partnership with plant growers and researchers, resulting in extraordinary developments in both research and industrial uses of LED technologies for plant cultivation.
Horticulture Lighting Group (HLG), a comparatively recent provider of LED grow lights, coined the name “quantum board.” It was a modern form of light that consisted of a broad number of small LEDs connected to a straight board.
A high-powered continual ongoing driver is used to operate the diodes in rows in coordinate setups. There is now a range of boards accessible from a variety of vendors, all with different compositions.
The QB288 V2 is the main board that HLG is momentarily practicing. It has 288 Samsung LM301H LEDs, which are among the most energy-competent LEDs available. This board comes in two models, one with dark red Osram diodes and another with blue diodes.
HLG has often focused on high-quality segments such as Samsung LEDs and Meanwell drivers. One of the reasoning behind quantum boards being so popular is that they target high-quality materials.
A lot of companies already produce quantum boards, and some of them practice HLG’s components. Others replace them with less costly options to hold prices down. Despite this, all boards are classified as quantum boards. We’ll analyze and contrast each of the big producers below.
Related: Grow Light Guide
Assets of Quantum Board LED Grow Lights
In the horticultural LED lighting system industry, creating a satisfactory lighting condition for plant growth applications is critical.
Horticulture LED lighting system manufacturers must fit optimal light features for crop growth and production, while also aiming to reduce electricity consumption by electrical efficiency maximization.
LED luminaire performance is measured by multiplying LED kit efficiency by other variables such as current droop, thermal droop, driver inefficiencies, and optical losses. Furthermore, the performance of horticultural lighting systems is dependent on photosynthetic photon efficacy.
LED lighting systems’ efficiency in transforming energy into light is the year by year.
Nelson and Bugbee demonstrated in 2014 that the most effective HPS lamps had efficacy values ranging from 1.6 to 1.7 mol J1, which was somewhat close to the efficacy of LED luminaires, which ranged from 0.8 to 1.7 mol J1.
LED lighting systems are now more effective than other lighting sources used in horticulture.
Samsung diodes (and a lot of other brands’ less costly replacements) diffuse a complete-spectrum white light that encompasses all detectable wavelengths. They come in a range of color climates, but they’re all similar to natural daylight. As a result, it’s a great range for herbs.
Although blue and red LEDs were once standard, the production has recognized that white LEDs are safer for plants, because of this manufacturers are gradually transitioning to white. HLG and their led boards were the first to make the transition, that’s where it all started.
Quantum boards now regularly include alternate diodes in addition to the white ones, most commonly deep red and, on special occasions, UV and IR.
3. LED Driver
LED drivers ensure safe working surroundings, which is critical given that a minor voltage difference will result in significant modifications in output power.
The current study arranged the voltage specifications of the LED lighting device industry, based on the input voltage ranges given by manufacturers.
The findings revealed a broad variety of variability; nevertheless, the bulk of LED lighting device producers use input voltage levels such as 100–277, 220–240, 120–277, 100–240, 90–305, 120–480, 100–480, and 100–305.
This high input voltage is regulated by two standard methods: linear dimming, which decreases the DC current streaming through the LEDs, and pulse-width timbre dimming, which lowers the percentage of time the pulse is working to dim the LEDs.
Still, various electricity regulations can regulate the construction and testing conditions of horticultural LED lighting systems counting on whether the lighting system is designed for use in North America, Europe, Asia, or elsewhere.
4. Light Disperses
Since the light is emitted from several points around a vast board, it has an extra explicit path to the awning on the outside of the coverage range than light emitted from a tinier fixture, which would be emitted farther noticeable.
As a result, there is less sensitivity in the center of the coverage range and more concentration along the margins. In other terms, a more balanced distribution of light.
5. Low Cost
Quantum board lights, broadly, are less costly than conventional LEDs or COBs of equal performance. Yeah, there are much less costly lights, but they cannot equate to the performance of a quantum board grow light.
6. Thermal Control
Several components (like motors, fans, and connectors) and parameters, such as high LED junction temperatures, poor current control, manufacturing efficiency, vibrations, and operating atmosphere, will reduce the lifetime of horticultural LED lighting systems.
According to reports, the working temperature is the most significant aspect affecting the life and performance of LED lighting systems.
Increasing the temperature by 10 degrees Celsius reduces the life of an LED lighting device.
As a result, cooling systems are needed to dissipate heat, so cooler LED lighting system operating temperatures result in increased light intensity and a longer lifetime.
As a result, while optimum thermal control raises manufacturing costs, it also increases device effectiveness and lifespan.
7. DIY Privilege
Another great thing about these lights is that HGL and some other manufacturers have DIY packages in their offer, so you can make your own lights and save even more money.
On the Internet, you can find a lot of YouTube videos and blogs that explain whether it’s worth it to make this board yourself or it is easier to buy ready-made, get informed, and make a decision that is in line with your budget and needs.
Detriments of Quantum Boards
When we talk about the disadvantages of these lights there are not many of them compared to other led grow lights, but still, there are some negligible shortcomings that we will mention below
1. Awning Penetration
Owing to the existence of green wavelengths in white light, it penetrates the awning higher, giving quantum lights dominance over “blurple” LEDs. However, more strong white LEDs, such as COBs, penetrate far deeper than quantum boards.
2. Open Frame
Quantum boards are pretty understandable. LEDs are connected straight to a board. And that’s it. There are no lenses or caps.
The diodes are bare and unprotected, as are the wires in many situations. Few manufacturers have newly started to cover the wires with plastic lids, but many still leave everything exposed. As a result of this, the components are meagerly secure. However, it does help to hold prices down.
To solve this problem, you can think of a way to protect the lights and the wires themselves, or you can buy a board with already built-in plastic protection.
3. Delusion about Heat
Even though LED lights are cooler than other forms of lighting, they also produce a lot of heat. Quantum boards are no different.
There is a misconception that they work without any heating because they do not require fans, but despite this fact, the diodes heat up a bunch.
In general, you should predict a 30% reduction in heat compared to an equal HID light.
Best Known Manufacturers
More and more companies include these lights in their product range, but unfortunately, we cannot trust them all. We will list here some that have already been tested and that are 100% legitimate.
The companies listed below range from HGL to those you can find on the Alibaba website.
If your budget is bigger, we would definitely recommend HLG lights, but if you are not ready to spend that much money, a great alternative is Spider Farmer, which is almost identical in quality to HLG and the price is much lower.
Kingbrite is another great company that is significantly cheaper than HLG and is of similar quality. Just keep in mind that in that case, the board will arrive from China.
1. Horticulture Lighting Group
The quality materials are the Horticulture Lighting Group fixtures’ main selling point. Samsung LEDs are at the top of the chart.
These high-quality segments are exceptionally powerful, providing a high performance by using less energy and producing less heat than virtually any other light you could find.
The shape factor is another important value of HLG fixtures. The large panel allows for a more consistent spread of light.
Samsung’s LM301H LEDs generate a full-spectrum white flash with a 3500K color temperature. That is not a regular white color, it’s a warm white that is good for flowering as well as for vegging.
The increased LH351 LEDs emit a 660 nm deep red flash, which provides a significant advance to plants all along the bloom period. As a consequence, the yields are larger and more compelling.
If you purchase an HLG board, you get a three-year warranty, which is longer than for any other Chinese company. They also include a 30-day money-back arrangement, allowing you to refund the light if you don’t like it. Unfortunately, in that case, you will have to pay a restocking fee of 20%, but you can’t have it all, right?
The heat treatment is also a huge plus for HGL. Since the quantum led boards perform colder than most LED panels, the device doesn’t even require fans. What you need is passive cooling.
This ensures not just silent service but also a longer lifetime. Don’t be surprised if one of the first elements to stop functioning is the fan.
- Samsung LEDs
- Produce less heat
- Large panels
- More even coverage
- 3-year warranty
- 30-day money-back assurance
- Silent operation
- Bad customer service
- Light breaks happening often
Review of the HLG 600 V2 RSpec LED Grow Light
- It’s the equivalent of a 1000 watt HID device, but it’s much less expensive to run and produces far less heat.
- Exploit 600 watts, which means you’ll conserve over 50% on your electric bill compared to HID lamps.
- Dimmable up to 60 watts, allowing you to collect still more money when you don’t need the maximum production.
- The PPF of 1522mol/s is an incredible amount for just 600 watts of power utilization.
- Impeccable spectrum for herbs-3500K white light plus 660 nm dark red
- 5 by 5-foot center analysis— with an even light distribution thanks to the diodes being dispersed all over the huge components.
- Dimmable driver — a high-efficiency drive that can be dimmed to 10% intensity.
- The seller offers a three-year guarantee.
- 2.55 mol/joule, making it one of the most profitable lights available.
2. Bloom Plus
The Bloom Plus lights have a 2.7 umol/J efficiency, making them one of the most energy-efficient devices available. This percentage, however, is comparable to other quantum-style components. They’re all extremely powerful.
Because of the greater scale of these lights, and the fact that they have several smaller diodes spaced all over the whole area, you don’t get the crazy intensity in the center of the cover surface that other varieties of LED grow lights have, neither you get the much lower concentration in the corners.
This increased light coverage has a major effect on your earnings, as even the plants in the tent’s corners now obtain adequate light to produce generous blooms.
The all-white spectrum was another reason quantum lights were so common, in addition to their efficiency and light distribution.
Previous LEDs used a red and blue blend known as “blurple,” which discolored the plants and was based on the incorrect belief (pushed by LED manufacturers) that plants only use red and blue light.
- Highly efficient
- A perfect range for herbs
- Low price
- Great heat dissipation
- Great light spread
- Poor quality control
- Dishonest customer service
Review of the Bloom Plus BP-4000
- It consumes 400 watts of power and produces the same amount of light as a 600 watt HID light.
- It’s the same as a 600 watt HID unit, except it’s less expensive to operate and produces less heat.
- Full-spectrum white light is beneficial at all stages of growth, but it is especially beneficial during flowering.
- For a 4 by 4 grow tent, which is one of the most regular sizes, a core coverage of 4 by 4 feet is optimal.
- Dimmable — save money on power by shutting off the light while it’s not in operation.
- It is one of the most effective grow lights available, with a 2.7 umol/J efficiency rating.
- Samsung diodes are highly effective and penetrate profoundly into the awning.
- Infrared light is used, which encourages flowering and raises yields.
- It runs on alternating current (AC) from 100 to 277 volts, so you can practice a higher voltage to lower amperage.
- Ranked for 50,000 hours — more than 5 years without the need to switch bulbs
- You’re covered with a 3-year warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
3. Spider Farmer
Spider Farmer stands out amid the many Chinese companies offering quantum-style lights as the best.
The high-quality materials (Samsung chips and Meanwll drivers), color range, even distribution and high performance per watt used, and low price are the four biggest marks of the Spider Farmer quantum led board arrays.
Spider Farmer devices use high-quality dimmable Meanwell drivers and Samsung LM301B chips, much as the even more costly Horticulture Lighting Group devices.
Though HLG calls their Samsung diode-equipped panels quantum boards, the term is now used by consumers to refer to any light with Samsung diodes on a flat screen.
They aren’t available as DIY projects like HLG quantum led boards, but the ready-made SF devices are cheaper, so DIY lights wouldn’t make sense in this case.
Quality material not only prolongs the life of the lights but also preserves your cash. The use of top-bin diodes and the best driver available results in a much better performance than lights with lower-quality parts.
Low heat output is another feature of the Samsung and Meanwell mix. The temperature is so low that the device is cooled calmly. It carries no fans at all.
Spider Farmer joined some cool touches that you won’t be able to find in HLG lights, as well as high-quality materials. To resist vulcanization and decomposition, they apply waterproof glue on the diodes. They likewise attached safety covers to the exposed wires to avoid disturbance and other mishaps.
Since the organization has work centers in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Canada, you won’t need to hang almost as long for your light to be restored as you will for several Chinese brands.
- Samsung chips
- Meanwill drivers
- Even coverage
- High output per watt consumed
- Low price
- Usage of waterproof glue on the diodes
- Protective covers over the exposed wires
- 3-year warranty
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Lack of internal fans
- Not good quality control
- Dishonesty from the customer service
Review of the Spider Farmer SF 1000
- Exploit 100 watts, which means you’ll save 50% on your electric record relative to HID lights.
- Plant-friendly spectrum — The ideal light for all phases of development, with climax on red and blue and a lot of shine in every other color
- It’s the equivalent of a 200 watt HID device, but it’s less expensive to purchase and run.
- 2.2 grams per watt maximum yield — yields comparable to top-of-the-line lights at a fraction of the cost
- Diodes from Samsung LM301B — the same diodes used in far more costly HLG devices.
- The center coverage is two by two feet, while the vegging coverage is three by three feet.
- Extremely profitable — high performance with low power consumption.
- They offer a three-year warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee, and they have repair centers in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Germany.
- Meanwell Driver — the industry classic; it’s dimmable and can be taken out of the assembly and put outside your grow tent to minimize heat.
- Ranked for 50,000 hours — 4-5 years without bulb switchings
4. Mars Hydro
Mars Hydro is the most well-known Chinese manufacturer. They’ve been here for a while and have just recently entered the quantum board craze.
The color range, high performance per watt used, and low cost are the three best features of the Mars Hydro SP Series.
Let’s start with the color range. Finally, the market is shifting further from the blurple color range and into spectra of at least a couple of white diodes. Few lights are almost always white, and others are nothing but white.
They do it with white SMD diodes from Epistar on the 150 and Samsung on the 3000, making them look a lot like the quantum board led lights.
However, Mars went a step further by using IR and UV diodes to complete the range in places where all-white LEDs fell short. They also used red diodes in the SP 3000.
Mars, in turn, uses the quantum board continuum but builds on its main flaws: the absence of UV and IR. They even throw in red light for good standard in the SP 3000.
The result is a continuum that is suitable for any level of growth. It’s quite close to natural sunshine, with the addition of red and blue rays, which plants require the most.
Another brand that is similar in price and quality to Mars Hydro but is less known is Maxsisun, if you have some free time it would be a good thing to check it out.
- Color spectrum
- High output per watt consumed
- Low cost
- Large coverage
- 3-year warranty
- Heat output
- They need extra ventilation
Review of Mars Hydro SP Series
- Exploits 300 watts, which means you’ll save 50% on your power bill compared to HID lights.
- It’s the equivalent of a 400 watt HID device, but it’s less expensive to purchase and run.
- The ideal range for plants — the ideal light for all phases of development, with red and blue climax and plenty of lignite in all other colors, in addition to UV and IR
- Verry powerful — high performance with low power consumption.
- The center scope is two by four feet, while the vegging scope is three by five feet.
- Samsung LM301B diodes are the most powerful and best-selling diodes available.
- Dimmable Driver — the industry classic, manufactured by Meanwell; it is dimmable and can be detached from the device and put outside your grow tent to reduce heat.
- Ranked for 50,000 hours — 4-5 years without bulb switches
- A three-year warranty is included, as well as a 30-day money-back guarantee.
One of the most well-known Chinese brands is Viparspectra. They’ve been with us for a while and outperform the competition in terms of quality management and customer support.
The key benefits of the Viparspectra Pro series are the same as they are for any other quantum board style LED grow light: efficiency, large light spread, bandwidth, and passive cooling.
The key benefits of this series over other quantum-type lights are the cheaper price and greater quality management and customer care than other low-cost products.
The P2000 produces 2.7 umol per joule, which makes it one of the remarkably powerful grow lights available. This performance is the key reason quantum-type lights have lately increased in popularity. Simply stated, they have more power per watt consumed.
Furthermore, some quantum devices use dimmable motors, and this one is no different. You can adjust the brightness from 100% to 5%. When you don’t require the absolute power of the lights, you will save money on electricity.
- Great light spread
- Color spectrum
- Passive cooling
- Good quality control
- Lower price
- Using no-name components
Review of Viparspectra Pro P2000
- Exploits 200 watts which conserves about 40% on the power bill as opposed to HID lamps.
- Comparable to a 400 watt HID device, but less expensive to purchase and run.
- Excellent broad-spectrum white light — suitable for all phases of growth, even though we would love a warmer light a bit more.
- Core coverage of 3 by 3.5 feet — suitable for a 3 x 3 tent
- Dimmable — dim from 100% to 5% to conserve money on energy when full power is not required.
- 2.7 umol/J efficiency makes it one of the most effective grow lights available.
- Includes infrared light, which stimulates flowering and increases yields.
- It operates on alternating current from 100 to 240 volts and will function in any country.
- Ranked for 100,000 hours — that’s ten years without the need to switch bulbs.
- 3-year warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee — buy without any risks.
We’ve actually arrived at the most accessible quantum board beams. Despite their low cost, Kingbrite lights handle the same Samsung diodes and Meanwell drivers as HLG does. They are almost identical lights, with the exception that Kingbrite has a much greater range of UV, IR, and other options.
The Kingbrite series’ best points are that you can purchase quantum board LED grow lights at a much cheaper price and that they have much more choices in terms of sizes and light range than any other company.
Kingbrite sells quantum LED lights at a cheaper price than any other company on Amazon. Far cheaper. You would have to pay for shipping to the place you live, but the prices are fair, and even with shipping costs, these lights are still the most affordable.
There are other vendors on Alibaba that market equivalent lights at a cheaper price. It’s normally just a little cheaper, so it’s obviously not worth the risk to save a small amount of money.
The justification for Kingbrite being superior is that many users on grow forums have successfully purchased their lights and had them delivered to the United States, Canada, and Europe. In plain English, they have a track record of being trustworthy, something other sellers do not have.
- Low price
- A lot of options for sizes and light spectrum
- Track record of being trustworthy
- Quality components
- Heat output
- No stated return policy
- Only one year warranty
Review of Kingbrite 480W LED Grow Light
- Exploits 480 watts, which means you’ll conserve 40 to 50% on your power bill relative to HID lamps.
- Comparable to an 800 watt HID system, but less costly to purchase and maintain.
- Plant-friendly bandwidth —the ideal light for all phases of development, with red and blue climax and plenty of shine in all other colors.
- Extremely effective — high performance from low power consumption.
- 4 x 4 core coverage — 5 x 5 maximum coverage
- Meanwell engine — excellent dimmable driver
- Ranked for 50,000 hours or more — 4 years or more with no bulb switches
- A one-year warranty is offered on the lights, as well as a five-year guarantee on the driver.